A Moving Calendar for All Seasons
Are you planning to move soon? Moving can be a stressful thing to do, but that’s no reason to panic. Plan well ahead of the move, follow this detailed checklist and use this moving calendar to stay organized.
Eight weeks before you move
- Fix a date for the move.
- Check your homeowner’s insurance policy and find out if it covers moving.
- Book with a reputable Austin moving company and if we might make a suggestion, we know just the one!
- Label the things you need and those that you don’t. Identify the things to be taken into long-term or short-term storage.
- Measure all the rooms in your new home. Measure the layouts of the windows, doors and closets. Measure your furniture and give a copy of all measurements to the moving company.
Four weeks before you move
- It’s time to inform various agencies about the change in address. You should inform the post office, social security, insurance companies, credit card companies, your employer, credit bureau, department of motor vehicles, car registration, mail order accounts, broker, magazines, friends and relatives.
- Have the furniture, drapes, and other items cleaned by a professional dry cleaning service.
- Get together all personal, medical and dental records of everyone in the family, including that of your pet dog.
- Make arrangements to transfer your children’s school records.
- Start packing one room at a time.
Two weeks before you move
- Make arrangements to have all local bank accounts transferred.
- As your doctor, vet or dentist for your medical records.
- Cancel the newspaper delivery service.
- Arrange for a babysitter to take care of the kids on the day of the move. Also arrange for a pet sitter to take care of your dog or cat.
- Disassemble the shelving, closet systems and other stuff in preparation for the move.
- Hire a cleaning crew for help with the cleaning of the house.
One week before you move
- You will need the following items for the move: Medicine, comfortable clothes, toothbrush, toiletries, Linens and towels, Paper goods, plastic containers, disposable plates and silverware, microwave, vacuum cleaner, garbage bags, tool kit, step ladder, light bulbs, extension cords, cleaning items such as mop and pail, broom and dust pan.
- Call the movers and schedule and confirm the details.
Two days before you move
- Defrost and dry the refrigerator.
- Collect all valuables and important documents. Take them with you in the car.
On Moving Day
- Give directions to the movers. Devote the entire day to the move.
- Have enough money on hand to pay the movers or to tip anyone who is helping you.
- Check all rooms and closet before leaving. Check the basement, attic and the garage.
- Turn off the lights, close all windows and lock doors.
- Hand over the keys to your landlord.